Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Monday was very exciting because we were able to go to Yehliu Geopark. Yehliu is a 1,700 meter long cape made up of sea eroded limestone. This erosion has formed distinctive structures such as, mushroom rock, candle rock, fairy’s shoe, marine bird rock, and much more. You can even find fossilized sea urchins and weathering ring patterns. After we finished our guided tour we were able to explore on our own. I found a cave filled with wharf roaches, a rock shaped like a skull, and I made it to the end of the cape! It was hot, I was sweaty, but it was totally worth it when I made it to the end and the Pacific was beautiful.


Candle rock

Fairy's shoe

Fossilized sea urchin

Marine bird rock

Cave

Wharf roaches inside cave!

Jenny and I

Made it to the end!

Skull rock I found

After the Geopark we went to the Fisheries Research Institute in Keelung. I found out that fisherman use a helicopter to find schools of tuna and then they use a seine net to catch them. I also learned that squid jigging involves placing a light into the water in front of the net so that squid are drawn to the light to be captured. They also hang torch lights around the fishing boats to attract fish. At the Institute they have done a lot of research on how to use parts of a fish to produce sellable products. They have developed squid ink ice cream, seaweed ice cream, shrimp ice cream, skin care products made from tilapia scales, and seaweed tea bags.
Boat with torch lights

Set net baskets

Blood parrot in Institute aquarium

Later that evening, we were able to make our own dumplings and I definitely plan on doing this at home when I get back. It was so much fun and they tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment